Wheel of the Year - Samhain Southern Hemisphere
April 30/May 1
A YEAR ENDS, A YEAR BEGINS
Northern Hemisphere Date: October 31st*
Also known as All Hallow's Eve, Halloween.
The Pagan year begins (and ends) with Samhain. It is a time of reflection, of looking back over the last year. This is the time when the boundary is thinnest between the worlds of living and dead; the powers of divination, the Sight, and supernatural communication are strengthened on Samhain night, and it is considered a powerful but dangerous time to communicate with lost loved ones.
Pagans celebrate Samhain as an acknowledgment that without death, there can be no rebirth. At Samhain, the darkness increases and the Goddess reigns in her powerful aspect of the Crone. The God passes into the underworld to become reborn of the Goddess again at Yule. It is a time to honour those who have gone before us and it is a poignant co-incidence that Australia and New Zealand's day of Remembrance for their fallen in war, ANZAC Day on April 25, should be so close to the southern Samhain.
Food: Apples, Pumpkin, Squash, Apple Cider, Root Veggies, Grains, Dark Wine
Incense & Crystals: Sandalwood, Patchouli, Sage, Sweetgrass, Obsidian, Jet, Onyx, Bloodstone, Smoky Quartz
Examples of Rituals:
- Releasing bad habits
- Honouring the dead
- Seeing clearly
- Banishing things from your life
- Past Life
REMEMBERING THE DEAD RITUAL
What you need?
- Photo or images of loved ones
- Any special food that your loved ones enjoyed
- Small Ritual Candles
- Apple & Pomegranate
- Chalice/Glass with wine or fruit juice
Performing the Ritual...
- Take some deep breathes & centre your energy
- Adorn your alter with photographs & other tokens of loved ones
- Set out apple & pomegranate as an offering to the goddess
- Darken the room and illuminate the room with only the candle
- Do a brief purification ritual (e.g. smudging) and call the quarters (see below)
- Say the Samhain Blessing
- Say your loved ones names out loud, tell their stories, speak the dates of their birth/death
- Feel their love wash over you like waves of the ocean, picture them around you and ask them to make themselves known to you
- Say out loud, any things left unsaid
- Raise your glass in their honour & enjoy the food/snacks they loved.
- Let your candles burn down late into the night and until extinguished.
- Release the circle
How to call the quarters
I call air for speed, fire to cleanse, water to bless, earth to manifest, spirit to seal, this is my will, so mote it be.
As the darkness now draws near, see the cycle of the year. As the light now goes within, Let the hollows dance begin...
Release the circle
And now we are done, with harm to none. I inhale the power of this magical hour. Stay if you will, go if you must. My circle it down as I will it, so mote it be.
Source: Sphere of Light